Sunday, January 20, 2013

Best Books of 2012


Sadly, I haven’t been updating this blog as much as I would like lately, although I’ve been doing plenty of arts and entertainment things I would love to tell you all about … someday.

Last year, I managed to be on time for a change and got in under the wire with my end-of-the-year roundup of everything I had been reading. This year, however,  I have been particular neglectful of this blog and even though I was keeping notes on what I thought were the best books I read this year, I’m only just now finally culling that list.

Let it be noted that while I’m calling this the best books of 2012, most – if not all – of these books were written prior to that time period. It’s just that I finally got around to reading these books during 2012.

Unlike last year, I read very few young adult novels this year, so I collapsed children’s and YA books into one category, listed here underneath the adult books I read. Graphic novels and nonfiction books are indicated by these symbols respectively: ^ and **. Any books that I was re-visiting for a second read are marked with a (2) after the title.

Hopefully anyone reading this blog and looking to tackle that next read can glean some new titles from this list. Each title is hyperlinked to my review of it on LibraryThing for anyone looking for more information on that particular book.

Adult books

1984 (2) by George Orwell
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Batman: The Long Halloween^ by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale
Batman: Year One by Frank Miller and David Mazzucchelli
Cranford (2) by Elizabeth Gaskell
The Collected Poems by Sylvia Plath
Frankfurt Pocket Guide** by Thomas Cook Publishing
The Hypnotist by Lars Kepler
A Little Bit Wicked: Life, Love, and Faith in Stages** by Kristin Chenoweth with Joni Rodgers
Psych: Mind Over Magic by William Rabkin
The Question: Pipeline^ by Greg Rucka and Cully Hamner
Sleeper: Season 1^ by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips
Sleeper: Season 2^ by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips
Winter Trees by Sylvia Plath
What I Did by Chris Wakling

Children’s/YA books

Being Teddy Roosevelt by Claudia Mills and R.W. Alley
Biblioburro: A True Story from Colombia** by Jeanette Winter
A Boy Called Dickens** by Deborah Hopkinson and John Hendrix
Boys of Steel: The Creators of Superman** by Marc Tyler Nobleman
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin, Jr. and John Archambault
Library Lily by Gillian Shields and Francesca Chessa
A Little Princess (2) by Frances Hodgson Burnett
Mice and Beans by Pam Munoz Ryan and Joe Cepeda
The Penny Pot by Stuart J. Murphy and Lynne Woodcock Cravath
Tickle Time! by Sandra Boynton
Where Is Baby’s Birthday Cake? by Karen Katz
Where the Wild Things Are (2) by Maurice Sendak

** = nonfiction
(2) = re-read
^ = graphic novel

No comments:

Post a Comment