Friday, November 18, 2011

Serendipity: Meet Esao Andrews

A few weeks ago, I stumbled upon an article that led me directly to oil painter Esao Andrews. I was absolutely blown away by this artist’s work. It’s fantastic, albeit sometimes a bit creepy; it reminds me of Tim Burton’s movies in that regard and I love Tim Burton. Of all Mr. Andrews’s works, I love Megan most of all, which looks realistically three-dimensional yet also whimsical with her half-smile and finger to her face. Other favorites are Untitled (Thinker) (whether intentional or not, this is a nice nod to Rene Magritte, my favorite artist of all), The Hangover (this clever title isn’t what you’re thinking), Letting Go (this one screams Tim Burton more so than some of the others), Poppies (the emotion!), The Guarded Fairground (this, like some of his other works, reminds me of the works of Hieronymus Bosch), Don’t Wake Up the Neighbors (this is another whimsical one, which also reminds me of the movie Coraline for some reason), and Finch (something so innocent yet also so foreboding about this painting). I thoroughly enjoyed exploring the selected works on his website, and I hope you will also. In addition, Easo Andrews has a blog that you can follow – you can bet I’ll keep an eye on this and see what prints are coming down the pipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment